PARAGUAY HUMANITARIAN MISSION
Date: June 2016
Place: Ciudad del Este, Paraguay
Humanitarian assistance to vulnerable Indigenous peoples was the main objective of this action. After an evaluation of the situation of the Indigenous communities of Paraguay, the attention of the humanitarian workers of the Humanitarian Fraternity (FIHF) focused on seven Indigenous communities of the Mbya-Guarani and Ava-Guarani ethnicities, which face a situation of extreme poverty and vulnerability, due to the lack of land of their own, and whose members make a living by working in the garbage dump in Ciudad del Este.
Since June 2016, the continuity of this humanitarian action was in charge by the Paraguay Light-Network.
- Preparation of lunch, which was shared with the community.
- Recreational and educational activities with children.
- Hair preventive care, to avoid diseases (hair washing, haircut and hairdress).
- Nail clipping.
- Preparation of lunch shared with the community. Distribution of medicines and medical assistance, mainly due to breathing and skin diseases, caused by work in the city garbage dump, and due to the lack of hygiene in general.
- Distribution of hygiene kits, dental care, education and promotion of oral health.
- Cleaning and organizing of the settlements, maintenance of houses and rebuilding of the prayer space.
- Building covers for water wells, as a prevention against transmissible diseases.
- Conducting a workshop to build a solar cooker.
- Donation of groceries, clothes, blankets and school materials.