Brumadinho HUMANITARIAN Mission
Date: January 2019
Place: Brumadinho, Minas Gerais, Brazil
The humanitarian workers of the Fraternity – Humanitarian Federation (FIHF) stayed for one month concentrated in the city of Brumadinho, and and in its neighbourhoods, such as Córregos do Feijão and Tejuco, after a dam break, which caused the spilling of millions of cubic meters of mud contaminated with mining residue, leading to a huge environmental and human disaster.
During the first month, the team of volunteers directly provided logistical support for the rescue and care of animals impacted by the situation, as well as providing psychological support to the families of the victims of the disaster. The psychological assistance work lasted until the beginning of 2020, with monthly incursions to the region.
The assistance has been suspended since the beggining of the pandemic.
- Professional psychological assistance for the families of the victims, through in-home visits, and for the team of professionals in-field.
- Organization and registration of volunteers.
- Immediate response to the emergency situation in the matter of organization and logistics of the fauna rescue sector, including animal registration, implementation and control of stocks of medicines, food and veterinary supplies.
- Assistance in the installation of a veterinary hospital in Córrego do Feijão and of a farm for the rescued animals in Brumadinho.
- Treatment and care of the fauna of the affected region.